Monday, October 7, 2013

Musical Monday! Kristen Faith Oei in "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark".

Kristen Faith Oei
For today's "Musical Monday" I will write a little about seeing Kristen Faith Oei as Mary Jane in "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark".  I was initially very disappointed that Jennifer Damiano was out of the show, I loved her in Next to Normal, but never got to see her as Natalie, so I was excited to see her in this.  Well, Jennifer Damiano was going to be out.  I found this out a few days before I saw the show and was very disappointed.  I love getting to see understudies but I was very excited to finally see Jennifer onstage!  I didn't know who her understudies were, so I was very pleasantly surprised when I learned that Kristen Faith Oei, who I saw in Wicked on Tour in 2006, would be on that day.  I love seeing Wicked alums in other shows, so I was pumped.

I am very glad I got to see Kristen as MJ.  She didn't understudy anyone in Wicked, so I had never really been exposed to her as a singer or actress, only as a dancer in the ensemble.  She was really phenomenal up there, her voice is very pretty and strong.  I loved hearing her sing. She is a very solid actress as well, and held her own up there with the leads who do their roles every day.  She and Reeve Carney acted off each other well and harmonized with ease.   She was also the sweetest person to talk to at the stage door, standing outside in a drizzle talking to me for 10 minutes (because I had so many questions about Wicked).  I would love to see her in more leading roles, even if she understudied them, because I think she has a lot of talent that hasn't really been exposed yet!

Follow this blog on Twitter HERE!
Follow Kristen on Twitter HERE!

No comments: