Monday, October 14, 2013

Musical Monday! (Wicked). Curt Hansen in Next to Normal!

Hansen as Fiyero in Wicked.
For today's "Musical Monday," the weekly Monday post where I talk about seeing Wicked cast members in shows other than Wicked, I'm gonna write a little about seeing Curt Hansen in Next to Normal.  Curt Hansen currently plays Fiyero on the 1st National Tour of Wicked, and I saw him onstage when he played Gabe on the 1st National Tour of Next to Normal, which opened in November 2010 and closed in August 2011.   I saw the tour's opening performance in Cleveland, OH on June 7th 2011.I had seen the show the year before on Broadway with Kyle Dean Massey as Gabe.  I am a huge fan of Kyle Dean and loved him in the role, so I didn't know what to expect.

Hansen as Gabe in Next to Normal.
Curt and Kyle Dean are very different, especially vocally.  Curt was fantastic in the role, and I have the HARDEST time deciding who I liked better, and I think I prefer it to be that way.  I loved hearing him sing, his voice is very distinctive and extremely strong, and "I'm Alive" in particular stood out to me, not only because that's Gabe's big number, but because he NAILED it.  "There's a World" was also really awesome because that is where he got to show off the softer side of his singing voice.  He worked very well with Alice Ripley and the relationship between he and Asa Somers' Dan was very believable.  He and Emma Hunton harmonized beautifully in "Superboy and the Invisible Girl".  He also couldn't have been kinder at the stage door.  I loved getting to chat with him a little bit, he was very down to earth and genuine.  I hope that I get to see him as Fiyero sometime very soon, because I have heard great things about his performance!


No comments: