Friday, November 29, 2013

Andrew Lloyd Webber: Wicked Was Last Musical to Have 'Really Good Songs'.

Andrew Lloyd Webber
Andrew Lloyd Webber, world renowned musical theatre composer, has stated that Wicked was the last Broadway musical to have really good songs.

"The thing I've noticed is that music has not been a part of the most successful musicals of the last few years...  The last musical that had really good songs in it was Wicked."

Lloyd Webber is the composer of many worldwide hit musicals, such as Cats, Sunset Boulevard, Evita, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and of course The Phantom of the Opera.  
the worldwide sensation and the longest running show on Broadway,

As a fan blog, I am going to throw in my two cents and say that I disagree with him.  Wicked is my favorite show, but I think that there have been quite a few shows with great music since then.  I am personally partial to Wicked and it IS my favorite score, but that does not mean that I think nothing good has come out since.  Next to Normal, The Book of Mormon, Newsies, and Kinky Boots immediately come to mind as shows that have excellent scores.  Do you agree with Lloyd Webber?  Why or why not?  Feel free to comment!

No comments: