Sunday, December 29, 2013

My Favorite Wicked Moments!

Wicked has so many amazing moments, from Glinda's first entrance in her bubble, to Fiyero's first big number "Dancing Through Life" to Defying Gravity to the Finale.  I thought I would make this post to explain some of my favorite moments in the show,  as well as find out some of yours!

Christine Dwyer in Defying Gravity.
My favorite moment in the show is Defying Gravity hands down.  For those who have not seen the show but know the music, Defying Gravity is one of the most powerful moments I have ever witnessed in any theatrical experience- and I have had many outside of Wicked.  First, the music is just so gorgeous in that song, very powerful and it continues to push on and on until Elphaba *spoiler alert* majestically rises into the air *end spoiler*.  The visuals and sound match the song perfectly and it makes for the best Act 1 finale that I have ever seen or heard.

I also love the Finale a lot.  The music as well as the echoed verses

of "For Good" and haunting harmonies between Glinda and Elphaba give me goosebumps every time I see it, and the slight change of tone in Glinda and the Ozians' voices and cheerfulness is phenomenally done.  They're still celebrating, but they are mournful (ironically).  No Good Deed is a phenomenal piece of music and the simplicity of the set surrounding Elphaba during this number puts strong emphasis on her and the words, which is pretty powerful in my opinion.  I also love the last bit of "The Wizard and I" simply due to the power and excitement in Elphaba's voice (in particular, I loved Donna Vivino and Christine Dwyer's ending to this song) and "Popular" is always a song I look forward to.  Katie Rose Clarke, Alli Mauzey, Megan Hilty and Amanda Jane Cooper have always been masters at that song, and I love that the script allows for such personality to be brought to it.  I also love Dancing Through Life a lot because it's such a perfect introduction to Fiyero, and the clever Scarecrow references are very well woven into the song.  Finally, my favorite SCENE in the show is the cornfield scene between Elphaba and Glinda, it's so hilarious, well written, and allows for so much laughter from the audience and wittiness from the actresses playing Elphaba and Glinda.

What are some of your favorite moments?  Comment on this post or tweet me @FlyingHighWKD!
Idina Menzel in No Good Deed.

No comments: