Monday, January 6, 2014

Musical Monday: Idina Menzel: I Stand.

Hey guys!  Since, as I told you a few weeks ago, I am nearly out of Wicked alumni in other shows to talk about, Musical Monday will be altered slightly in order to keep it going! :)  From now on, I will just talk about various projects that former Wicked cast members have been worked on.  I'm going to start with the one and only Idina Menzel's solo album, I Stand which was released in 2008.

This album is a bit of a departure for Menzel, as it is mostly a pop record!  There is a pop version of Wicked's signature anthem, "Defying Gravity" on it, but the rest of the album was written or co-written by Menzel herself.  The songs all have  themes of empowerment, honesty and self improvement, especially the lead single Brave which talks about picking yourself up and doing what you know is best, even if it scares or frightens you.  The following single, Gorgeous is an uptempo song about a relationship that describes the teamwork of being with someone and the happiness and comfort that comes from that.  My Own Worst Enemy, I Stand, Don't Let Me Down and Forever are other notable tracks on the album, all with ocean-deep lyrics that explore finding yourself and the world around you.  I would absolutely recommend this to any fan of Idina Menzel, or Wicked in general.  While it does have a pop sound, there is no auto tune (after all, she doesn't need it!) and there is a very true and genuine sound to it, and several of the have a slight musical theatre feel or edge to them.  It is one of my favorite albums to this day, I listen to it regularly!

No comments: