Monday, February 17, 2014

Musical Monday: Sarah Jane Everman in Shrek the Musical!

Everman as Glinda
Today's Musical Monday post is about Sarah Jane Everman as Fiona in Shrek the Musical!  Everman appeared in the Original Chicago Company of Wicked in 2005 in the ensemble and as an understudy for Glinda and Nessarose.  In addition to Shrek, Everman has also appeared on Broadway in Wonderful Town, The Apple Tree and Promises Promises, and Off-Broadway in Best Foot Forward, Bye Bye Birdie, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Applause!

I had the privilege of seeing Everman as Fiona in Shrek on Broadway in 2009.  Sutton Foster was out of the show that day, and initially I was ever so slightly disappointed because even then I knew what a big deal Sutton Foster was.  However, the minute I saw Sarah's name on the understudy board, that disappointment shifted into nothing but excitement.  I knew I had seen Sarah in Wicked, and I knew that she was phenomenal.  I always love seeing Wicked alumni doing other things, so I was pumped.

She didn't disappoint at all.  Unfortunately since the performance was over five years ago, I don't remember every little detail, however I remember being very impressed with "I Know It's Today" and "I Think I've Got You Beat" made me laugh a lot.  She has a glorious voice and I really enjoyed her as an actress.  Of course any time an understudy is on there are people around you that are confused and complaining that there is a 'fill in' performing, but by intermission people were raving about her.  She was a doll after the show as well, signing people's stuff and talking to them.  She's tiny! Hopefully she will return to the Broadway stage again very soon because she is super talented and had a long future in 'the biz!'

No comments: