Friday, June 17, 2016

Alyssa Fox and Ginna Claire Mason are ROCK STARS.

Hello everyone, I have gotten to see the show twice so far in NYC this summer, 6/3 and 6/11 and I thought I would post a little review for everyone on the new performances.  On June 3rd, I saw Alyssa Fox and Carrie St. Louis go on together, and on June 11th I saw Rachel Tucker and Ginna Claire Mason together.  Each show led by a different set of witches!

6/10/16, Ginna Claire Mason and Rachel Tucker
First, the rest of the cast continues to remain solid.  Jonah and Zach just keep getting better and better as Fiyero and Boq, Dawn Cantwell's star continues to rise, and Kathy Fitzgerald is just as wonderful as Madame Morrible as she was the last time I saw her in 2014.  I am admittedly a little surprised that she is back after Judy Kaye only performed for about three months, but I love Kathy's performance.

Alyssa's Elphaba was wonderful.  Right off the bat, she had one of the best 'The Wizard and I' performances that I have seen recently.  I love Rachel Tucker, and her performance of the song, but
Alyssa's was much stronger and had a little more impact.  Rachel focuses on Elphaba's quieter moments much more, and Alyssa is a little more head on with the belting.  She embedded the end of the song with several incredible vocal runs and embellishments which I haven't heard since Christine Dwyer in 2011.  Her voice is very high, just a note.  She and Carrie St. Louis had obvious chemistry from touring together that still shines for them.  They meshed so very well together, and What Is This Feeling was a HOOT.  I loved it.  She and Carrie worked well off of each other during 'Popular' particularly during the toss toss bit, which was hilarious, and she performed a very beautiful rendition of  'I'm Not That Girl' though I think Rachel is a little stronger on that particular song.  Defying Gravity was exceptional, she threw in several riffs and vocal flips that I really appreciated hearing, and her voice soared.  Act 2 really showed her off.  From the Governer's Mansion scene, to the scene with the Wizard, she's very feisty and badass Elphie, and then her anguish fully sets in during No Good Deed for one of the most vocally solid performances of that song I have ever heard live.  Rachel's emotion wasn't quite matched, but the quality of Alyssa's voice was ridiculous.  It's so effortless and pure but the girl can wail.  And she nailed the ending like nobody's business.  For Good and the Finale just belong to Carrie, but Alyssa held her own despite Carrie's heartbreaking performance.  Overall, Alyssa Fox is an incredibly solid performer, and a really badass Elphaba.  I am so glad I got to see her go on and I hope that I get to see her go on at least once more this summer.

Ginna Claire Mason was also really wonderful as Glinda.  For me, she had even bigger shoes to fill than Alyssa, because Carrie St. Louis is such a force to be reckoned with in this role.  She conveys incredible emotion and vocal prowess and I wondered how Ginna would measure up (I was thrilled to pieces when I got to the theatre and saw she would be performing). Ginna's voice is gorgeous.  It sounds a lot younger and higher than Carrie's (most notably in her vibrato) but her soprano is effortless and really really pleasant to listen to.  She didn't take as many creative/comedic liberties with the role as Carrie does, but that's to be expected. One of Ginna's most notable moments was in Dancing Through Life, where her flirting and ditzy manner with Jonah did make me laugh out loud.  She was very funny in 'Popular' and exceeded my expectations of making that number her own.  She made some choices that were different from Carrie's, but also kept some things that work well.  The train station scene with Elphaba, Glinda and Fiyero was also very funny, and I felt bad that the audience was so dead (as is usual with a matinee). Her Thank Goodness also held up well compared to Carrie's, which was wonderful to see because Carrie's is packed full of emotion.  My favorite scene for Ginna was the witch fight/fallen house scene.  It was so hilarious, especially her wand spin.  The audience was not anywhere near as into it as they sometimes get, again #MATINEE but she was really hysterical.  For Good was also beautiful, and her voice was glorious during the Finale.

Both are also so wonderful to talk to after the show, I've posted my pictures with them below :)

Alyssa and I after I saw her
Alyssa and I making Miranda Sings faces.

Ginna and I after the matinee.  She's so cute and very personable!



1 comment:

Alaamah eg1 said...

شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف بالخبر
شركة تنظيف بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف بابها
شركة تنظيف بالهفوف
شركة تنظيف بحفر الباطن
شركة تنظيف بالظهران
شركة تنظيف براس تنورة
شركة تنظيف في الدمام
شركة شفط الصرف الصحى
شركة تنظيف خزانات المياه بالدمام
شركة تنظيف في الدمام
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالدمام
شركة مكافحة الفئران بالدمام
شركة مكافحة بق الفراش بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالاحساء
شركة نقل عفش بالدمام والاحساء
شركة تنظيف بالخبر
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخبر
شركة نقل اثاث بالخبر
شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
شركة تنظيف براس تنورة
شركة تنظيف بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف بسيهات
شركة تنظيف بالظهران
شركة تنظيف بالهفوف
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالجبيل
شركة مكافحة حشرات براس تنورة
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط
شركة مكافحة حشرات بخميس مشيط
شركة تسليك مجارى بخميس مشيط
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بخميس مشيط
شركة نقل اثاث بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف بابها
.............